Suicide is an act where people commit suicide due to instability in their life; Suicidal activity is described as contemplating or acting on the concept of taking one’s own life. Suicidal thoughts and actions should be treated as a mental health emergency.
Suicide is a deeply emotional and human activity, but it is often affected by a wide range of personal and social factors. Since Esquirol wrote, “All those who commit suicide are insane,” and Durkheim argued that suicide is a product of social and cultural circumstances, the controversy about human insecurity vs. social stressors in the cause of suicide has split our thoughts on the issue.
- According to the National Crime Record Bureau (NCRB), this function under the Ministry of Home Affairs, in a report of 2019 by NCRB say that an average of 381 deaths by suicide was reported daily in India. If we look at the data of previous 3 years from 2017 to 2019, suicide rate has increases i.e. 2017 (1, 29,887), 2018 (1, 34,516), 2019 (1, 39,123).
- The vast number of suicides reported in the Metropolitan state Maharashtra (18, 916) and then in Tamil Nadu (13, 493), West Bengal (12, 665), Madhya Pradesh (12, 457) and Karnataka (11, 288).
- Uttar Pradesh which is the highest populated state is reported for a 3.9% suicide death rate.
- Male (70.2%) has the majority rate of suicide in comparison to female (29.8%).
- If we look at the global level, the highest rates of suicide cases are come from South Korea, found in 2016.
The Current Scenario
According to WHO report 2019, India has the highest rate of suicide death across the South-Asian region and it is rising day by day.
Now, if we look at the global level, Japan is rising cases of suicide in the pandemic of Covid-19, According to reports from the National Police Agency, 20,919 people committed suicide in 2020.
Impact of Corona Virus Pandemic in the Suicide rate
- Uncertainly, Individuals with pre-existing psychological problems include all patients treated by mental health providers.
- The path physiology of psychological illness and suicidal behaviour is influenced by Social Alienation or Social Isolation.
- Economic instability, Economic issues related to the COVID-19 crisis could have a significant effect on mental health. Throughout the world, millions of people have lost their jobs.
- As we can see an example of Bollywood actor Sushant Singh Rajput, who was so much depressed and tensed in his life, these things forced him negatively and he took medical help but doesn’t work for him and he committed suicide.
Methods that people are using
- Suicide attempts do not necessarily end in death, although they do not result in death, they will result in severe physical injury, long-term health issues, and brain damage.
- Committing suicide is a crime in itself, we should use our right to live in an optimistic and make it worthwhile for ourselves and others as well.
- For committing suicide, People usually use Hanging, Consuming Poison, Drowning, and Self Immolation and so on. But this should not happen because humans are born to create no to destroy.
Reasons why people Commit Suicide
- Family Problem: It is found that most people commit suicide when they have family problems, like, economic instability, family on teenagers to perfume a good role in their studies, etc.
- Illness and mental illness: When people stuck with a lifelong and incurable disease like – Cancer, heart, problem, asthma etc. in these kinds of conditions people started panicking and become weaker mentally but we should support each other morally.
- Drug Abuse and Alcohol addiction: Suicidal behaviour is influenced by a variety of factors, including alcohol and drug addiction. Suicide risk factors for people who are addicted to drugs are general.
- Marriage related issues: Usually in India Dowry is the most common problem of suicide in marriages, for example – recently a woman from Ahmadabad Ayesha Banu committed suicide, her husband harassing her for dowry money.
- Failure in the examination: Most of the time students cannot handle the failure and then they feel so depressed and disturbed, this is the biggest cause of suicide.
- Unemployment: It is the biggest reason because this is related to the economy and family, most people cannot afford the tension of being unemployed at the stage of poverty so they forced themselves to commit suicide. In India, farmers have been facing this problem since independence.
- Lack of Education: According to the NCRB’s 2019 survey, 12.6% of suicide victims were illiterate, 16.3% were in elementary school, 19.6% were in middle school, and 23.3% were in class 10th. Just 3.7% of all suicide deaths were college graduates.
- People commit suicide because of their dear ones.
- Property Dispute is also a reason where people think that only it is their livelihood.
- Bankruptcy and indebtedness is a reason where people cannot afford the blame on their character and commit suicide.
Solutions to getting rid of suicide thoughts
- Social Awareness: Here the government is trying their best but individual interference is a priority to spreading the awareness.
- Media: Through media, we can connect ourselves with society and understand the importance of life. Media can give good direction to society.
- Education: education is the biggest factor to avoid suicide thought, as we can see in the NCRB report which shows the highest suicide case of low educated people. Education expands the mind spectrum which helps us to think logically.
- NGO and Civil Society: Private organizations can create an environment where people never feel stressed and worthless.
- Academic Support: Academy where students go for education and learning; we should solve an individual’s problem by organizing group discussion, interact with each other and support them morally.
- Psychological Counseling and Meditation Curriculum: We can easily create an interactive environment where individuals can learn from each other how to get rid of stress, how meditation helps to concentrate and give work focus. Psychological counselling centres like in colleges, workplace, villages, and family welfare.
By – Shristy